FICCI HEAL 2017 - Indian Healthcare: A Patient’s View
August 17- 18, 2017
FICCI, in its 90th year of existence, concluded the 11th edition of its annual healthcare conference, FICCI HEAL, on the theme “Indian Healthcare: A Patient’s View”, on August 17- 18, 2017 at FICCI, New Delhi. FICCI HEAL 2017 was supported by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and NITI Aayog, Government of India.
The two-day conference, attended by over 350 delegates, brought together various stakeholders of health sector encompassing healthcare providers, government officials, policy makers, representatives of embassies and multilateral agencies, medical technology and pharmaceutical companies, healthcare education providers, health insurance companies, financial institutions etc. It also provided an interactive platform for deliberations by eminent Speakers drawn from not only the Government and Industry but also representatives of healthcare consumer who brought in the patient’s view.
- Mr C K Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GoI
- Mr M Damodaran, Founder Chairperson, Excellence Enablers P Ltd & Former Chairman, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
- Mr Manoj Jhalani, Additional Secretary and MD-NHM, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GoI
- Mr Bhupendra Singh, Chairperson, NPPA, GoI
- Dr T S Selvavinayagam, Additional Director, Health Services, Government of Tamil Nadu
- Prof John Chambers, Professor of Cardiovascular Epidemiology, Imperial College, London
- Mr Rajiv Sikri, Former Ambassador and Former Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs, GoI Mr Pankaj Patel, President, FICCI
- Mr Rahul Khosla, Chair, FICCI Health Services Committee; President, Max Group & Chairman, Max India Ltd
- Mr Varun Khanna, Co-Chair, FICCI Health Services Committee and Managing Director, BD India
- Mr Ashok Kakkar, Co-Chair, FICCI Health Services Committee; Sr. MD Varian Medical Systems International India Pvt Ltd
- (Hony.) Brig Dr Arvind Lal, CMD, Dr Lal Path Labs
- Dr Nandakumar Jairam, Chairman, NABH and Chairman & Group Medical Director, Columbia Asia Hospitals, India
- Ms Sanchita Sharma, Health Editor, Hindustan Times
Knowledge Paper released during the Conference:
FICCI-IMRB Report 2017: “The Healthcare Consumer – Understanding expectations and experiences, in the patient’s journey”
Inaugural Address by Mr C K Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GoI
Mr C K Mishra while inaugurating the 11th edition of FICCI HEAL on the theme ‘Indian Healthcare: A Patient’s View’ underlined the need for investing two-thirds of the healthcare spending on primary healthcare. He said that it is imperative for us to work towards enhancing preventive care to keep the requirement of diagnostic care and admission to hospitals in check.
Mr Mishra pointed that infrastructure in remote areas was weak and only government establishments were functional in such places; therefore, active private sector participation is needed to make quality and affordable healthcare accessible to all. He urged that since financial resources are limited, it is essential to invest in the right place for optimal results.
Keynote Address by Mr M Damodaran, Founder Chairperson, Excellence Enablers P Ltd & Former Chairman, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
Sharing a patient’s perspective during his Keynote Address, Mr M Damodaran said that, “Care, Patience, Dignity and Empathy are the four key words that stakeholders must understand to appreciate a patient’s needs”. He also said that, “there is a need to recognize and reward skilled workforce such as the nursing staff to enable them to render quality services. Challenges would always be there but the need is to find and deliver the best in such situations and not settle for sub-optimal services”.